Westmont Illinois History
The Middlefork Savanna Forest Preserve is a natural gem tucked away in the heart of Westmont, Illinois, just a few miles north of Chicago. The outdoor season in prairies, forests and swamps covers over 1,000 hectares of wild flowers, trees, grasses, shrubs, birds, reptiles, amphibians, mammals, insects, plants, animals, fish, wildlife and birds of all kinds.
Interstate 70 passes through Teutopolis, also known as T-Town, and Interstate 88, located north of the village, provides access to the rest of the Chicago region. The western section runs from McHenry County College (US 14) to Crystal Lake, west of N. Oak Street.
The Lily Cache Greenway runs east - west of Bollingbrook - Plainfield border to the ComEd Greenways, and the North Shore Channel Trail extends west - east along the north side of the Chicago River from Lake Shore Drive to Lake Michigan.
In 1834 a two-stage route passed through the area, but the Plankenstraße soon became insufficient for the cultivation area. In 1858, the local communities applied to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad for the construction of a branch line from Chicago to Aurora that would run through their cities. The Kuhn Road Trail starts at the intersection of the North Shore Channel Trail and Lake Shore Drive and runs from Bollingbrook - Plainfield to the ComEd Greenways in an easterly direction west along the northern side of Lake Michigan.
The page states that the Indians held a general council in Chicago in 1833 and agreed without coercion to vacate their land in exchange for a nominal payment. The US government then made several attempts to persuade them to leave the area, but to no avail. The website goes on to say: 'In 1834 and 1835, they held general councils in Chicago at the same time and agreed without coercion that they would vacate their land for nominal payments.
On September 26, 1977, Gregg House was moved to the Westmont Historical Society, home of the American Indian Museum and the Museum of Chicago, and moved to its current location in the city of West Montmont, Illinois. They later helped to move it into the Westmont Park District property, and on September 27, 1978, it returned to its original location, where it was first used as a museum.
The Prairie Trail stretches along the length of McHenry County and is managed by the McHenry County Conservation District. The Prairie Point Trail is a scenic neighborhood route that connects twice with the longer Grove Road Trail and the Valley Line Trail, also known as Sauganash Trail. As the name suggests, the Lake George Trail runs along the north shore of Lake George before turning south to bypass the eastern shore of Wolf Lake.
The road, which originated in Chicago in 1840, passed through Westmont and was completed in Naperville in 1851. Shortly after the Chicago Fire of 1871, the land was sold to a number of brick manufacturers who took the opportunity to supply bricks for the reconstruction of Chicago.
The most memorable of these brick manufacturers was William L. Gregg, who chose the company because his ship's steam locomotives would go downhill when fully loaded with bricks. The Excelsior Press Brick Company was founded in 1871 after he found that the DuPage County region had the best clay for brick making. In 1872 Gregg built his brick factory in Westmont because the bricks, when loaded onto railway wagons, could be transported easily downhill into the city. This factory was built on the west side of the railway tracks so that bricks, when loaded onto railcars, could be transported easily downhill to the cities.
The Westmont area was one of the most prosperous in the state, and the hard work and excellent soil were attractive to New Englanders who settled here. Gregg chose the area because of its proximity to the high hills of Chicago and Mississippi, which were near the CB and Q lines.
Marshall Fox designed many homes for the business elite at a time when Chicago was a fast-growing commercial city. Nothing was more important to pave the way for a future Westmont than the construction of the first of two major canals in the area, the Chicago and Mississippi Canals, which began in 1862 and was completed two years later. Construction began after the state of Illinois approved the construction of a canal in 1820.
St. Joseph's remained open as an open preparatory seminary in Teutopolis until it was moved to Westmont, a western suburb of Chicago, in 1927.
In the spring of 1938 Cardinal Mundelein appointed Reverend Ligouri Logsdon the first resident parish priest of the Holy Trinity. The diocese of Joliet was founded in 1948 by Pope Pius XII, who lived from 1876 to 1959 and reigned from 1939 to 1959. In 1949 Bishop Robert McNamara, then Bishop of Chicago, and Bishop John J. McNama, Bishop of Westmont, were appointed and formed the present dioceses of Jolie and her family. 29, 2012, in New York. John C. O'Brien, a member of St. Joseph's Preparatory School, was ordained a deacon and assigned to the diocesan office of the diocese in the city of Waukegan, Illinois, as a priest. Bishop McNamarias conferred on him the title Vicar General of the Catholic Church in Illinois for his ministry as a pastor.